Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Gabriel Owen

Gabriel Owen came in to our lives in a very interesting way. It was unpredictable and totally Gabe!


My husband and I had been married for almost a year when we had discussed having kids. We never officially decided yay or nay but we agreed kids were definitely in our future......four months later I was pregnant.
It was hard to tell my husband because we never really said "Yes, Lets have a baby" and we didn't really actively try to get pregnant, it just happened. I was having a really stressful month at work and never really realized that I had missed my period and I was cramping a lot but nothing was happening. I remember thinking back that it had been a while and I ran to grab my calendar, I counted back weeks and realized it had been 5 weeks. Feeling nervous I waited until the end of work (longest 4 hours of my life) and headed to the pharmacy for the tests. That same night I took three tests and they all lit up like a Christmas tree. I was shocked! After waiting two whole days I finally told him that I was pregnant and he didn't say a word....he was completely silent while I am balling my eyes out waiting, waiting for jumping jacks, yelling, a hooray, a burp....I got nothing. I finally told him to talk because I was freaking out and he simply asked when the confirmation appointment is with our OB. It took him about an hour to recover and he still hasn't gotten used the idea of being a dad.

When it came time to tell my family we decided to wait for our weekly Sunday dinner. We all sat at the dinner table and waited until dessert when we said we had something to say. My youngest brother being the Joker that he is said "you're pregnant" I looked at him shocked and said yes! He felt stupid but they all had a better reaction than my husbands reaction.

All through my pregnancy I had really bad issues with blood pressure, I craved nothing but fruit, hated meats, and I am the reason that Tums is still on the market. I couldn't sleep lying down because of the acid reflux, I literally sat straight up in bed sleeping for the last trimester. My swelling got so bad that all my weight gain was from fluid and I have stretch marks in the strangest places to prove it. I remember my husband had to put my socks on because I was so swollen I couldn't bend over and he literally hammered my clogs on my feet with his fists everyday so I could go to work. As I got closer to my due date our OB decided to put me on bed rest (not fun at all) until the baby came because my blood pressure had spiked so high that I was admitted in to the hospital for 24 hour monitoring.


Gabe decided he did not want to come on his due date, In fact he wanted to stay incubated an extra two weeks. I was not dilating and my OB called my Cervix unfavorable (that jerk). I was so desperate to get him out that after sitting around for 3 weeks I was restless. I turned on Pandora, cranked it so high our dishes were rattling and boogied my big butt around the living room and dining room for 30 solid minutes. It. Was. Fabulous!! 12 hours later I was in labor.....FINALLY!


The contractions started slow and were painful. I got up at 2:30 in the morning and sat on the couch just trying to relax and wait for them to get stronger. I woke my husband up and told him I was in labor but he could go in to work and I would call him when it's time to go or he could stay home. His eyes got huge and he said he would go in to work for half  a day then come home. I called him around his lunch time and told him to come home and get me to take me to our OB because it was just getting worse. When we got to the OB they checked me and I hadn't dilated a bit....man was I mad! They sent me on to the hospital anyway because my BP was so bad I could barely pee and there were signs or Preeclampsia.

They admitted me in to the hospital and because I was so late they decided to go ahead and break my waters. I was crying at this point because of my labor pains and the nurse recommended I have an epidural before my waters are broken, I agreed. After the epidural was placed I was much more relaxed but I wasn't progressing at all so they started me on Pitocin. I was hoping that he was going to be here that night but as the sun started to set we realized that it was going to take forever. The Dr. kept increasing my pitocin drip and the night nurse kept telling me how we shouldn't be in the hospital and that we should have stayed home....she was not a nice lady. The next morning came and still no Gabe. The epidural bag had been replaced 3 times and I had a booster to help with the pain because it was just getting worse and the epidural was only working on half of my body. Finally after the shift change I woke from a dead sleep and told my husband that I need to push. He ran out of the room (there was a dust cloud he ran so fast) and screamed at the nurses that I needed to push. Now it always seems at this point they just slowly come into the room and slowly set things up, I'm all spread eagle ready to push and their smile talking at me to breathe and don't push and breathe and don't push and I just want to kick them and get him out so badly. Finally she is ready and I start to push.....and push....and push....blow a blood vessel in my eyes....continue to push.....and I push....no baby....keep pushing...still no baby. It was like this for four hours......FOUR HOURS OF PUSHING!!!! The nurse was so bored she started to braid his hair!


Finally the Dr. comes in, the nurse explains what's been going on and he feels the need to give me an additional boost of the epidural and for me to take it seriously (because apparently I wasn't for the last four hours??) The Dr. told me we were getting this baby out soon because he was hungry and wanted to eat lunch and the nurses kept telling me to hurry up because they needed to room for other birthing moms (because I totally wanted to take my time and I was in no rush to get the baby out) After thirty minutes of pushing the Dr. asked me if I would like some help and I agreed willingly, He got out the vacuum and after three attempts (Gabe's head of hair kept making it pop off, not comfortable by the way) Gabe's head was fianally delivered and I was able to push the rest of him out.
Gabe four days old


Gabriel Owen was born on September 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm. He weighed in at 10lbs 4oz 22 inches long. The OB was so shocked when Gabe popped out that it took him a good minute to recover, look up at me between my frog legs and declare"THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A C-SECTION!!" I had about 20 people in the room during his birth and 3 of them were high school students who I think will never have babies. We donated his cord blood and the amount of blood he collected was a record for the hospital for a year. I couldn't walk normally for weeks and to this day I am proud to say that I gave birth vaginally to that whopper of a child.
After Gabe was born we found out that he had fluid in his lungs because of the labor and that he was struggling to breathe. He was under an oxygen tent for 3 days before we were able to hold and feed him. I was discharged from the hospital without him and that was the hardest thing I had ever had to do as a mom at that time. Gabe's oxygen levels finally came back to normal outside of the oxygen tent, he spent an additional week in the hospital with me by his side while we was given antibiotics for possible pneumonia.

As our first kid he came into this world unstoppable. This kid has the biggest personality and the most contagious laugh. He is my light and I love him. He acts just like his dad and looks so much like his dad it scares me. I love him and can't imagine how we felt so complete and happy without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment